Saturday, September 7, 2013

Squirrel!

When I ordered the articulated truck, that has been the subject of recent posts, from Langley Models I also ordered a number of other items that will hopefully add some more interest to Jerusalem. One of those items was a pack of seven wild animals (item number A64) which contains; 2 foxes, 2 feeding rabbits, 1 rabbit sitting up, 1 badger, and a squirrel. So far I've only painted the squirrel.

I would have shown you the squirrel in situ on the layout but a) I haven't quite decided where it is going yet, and b) it is so small I didn't think I'd be able to get a decent picture of it once it was in place.

While modelling in N gauge is great, as it allows me to have lots of railway in a small space, it does mean that some of the details really are very small.

5 comments:

  1. Mark, sorry I can't comment on this particular blog. No idea what N gauge is but I'm betting a squirrel in any "model train" setting would be very small. Not sure if you call them model trains, that's what we always called them.

    Best I can tell from what I've read is you create some models in Blender and then send the file off to be printed on a 3D printer. This is really interesting to me. The model trains I like and if I could squeeze one more interest into my day or one more item into my house, I would likely be trying to do some of this.

    At any rate I can still be an admirer, so I'll be following from now on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'm guessing a squirrel would be small in almost any model scale. I probably should have specified in the post that N gauge is 2mm to the foot, which gives you an idea on how small some things can be. Squeezing a railway into our house was the reason I went for N gauge as I currently have a layout in just 74cm by 54cm, as you'll see if you go back through some of the recent(ish) posts.

      You've understood the 3D printing correctly: I use blender to produce a 3D model of what I want to print (I assume one blender unit is 1mm in the printed model) and then send the model to Shapeways who print it out and send it back to me.

      Hopefully you'll find the mix of posts interesting as I do also talk about railway history and trips to preserved railways etc. as well as the modelling.

      Delete
  2. Mark, you'll have to sit it on a half chewed peanut feeder. That's where they always sit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But can you imagine trying to model peanuts at 2mm to the foot scale!

      Delete
  3. I think that's getting to the extremes of smallness for detail Mark.

    ReplyDelete