Monday, September 1, 2014

Heath Robinson

Now before anyone gets any ideas, Heath Robinson is not a description of my attempt at building the gearbox for Canopus. I've actually not done any more work on Canopus since the previous post as we've been away on holiday.

Even though I don't have any modelling updates to report, I thought a post was in order, and fortunately one of my recent birthday presents gives me something to blog about. I actually got two railway related presents, but you'll have to wait a bit for details on the second one. Today I give you a very brief review of Railway Ribaldry by W. Heath Robinson.

This clearly isn't a new book, the author died in 1944, but is a new reprint of a book originally published in 1935 to commemorate the centenary of the Great Western Railway. As you would expect, the book is a series of cartoons or illustrations showing weird and wacky railway inventions. It's not a long book, there are about 100 drawings, but it is certainly amusing and this nice quality reprint (it's not a cheap paperback just put out to make money) does the original justice.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like that could be a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is, although not a long read given the only words are the captions. You can get a "Look Inside" on the amazon page to see what it is like.

      Delete
    2. Mark, it could still be a long read for me. It sounds well worth a look.

      Delete
  2. Heath Robinson...one of my great inspirations, I love his work. What many folk don't know is that he was an impressive conventional illustrator and painter whose work stands up against all the famous names of his day. I wish he was a relation! Happy birthday, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Had an interesting birthday; over 12 hours in the car getting back from Skye due to road closures. Not quite what I'd planned.

      Interesting, I didn't know he worked as a conventional illustrator as well. I always associate him with this kind of work.

      Delete
  3. How were the midges :-) Hope you still had a good time.

    Here's a link to my partner's web site which features Heath Robinson http://petrascupboard.weebly.com/w-heath-robinson.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazingly we didn't have too many problems with the midges. I react "really" badly to them (last time we were there I couldn't wear my wedding ring for two days due to the swelling on my hand from a couple of bites). This time I had the odd bite but nothing terrible. We did have excellent weather though, and managed three golden eagles, a pod of dolphins a Michelin starred lunch and some excellent company (we were staying with friends who have a house on the island).

      Looking at the page of Petra's I've just spotted the Water Babies as one of the books he illustrated. I have a copy of that book from when I was a kid and I love the illustrations but had never realised they were by Heath Robinson.

      Delete