Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Clayton: Completed Build #1

Other than adding the makers plates I've finished the first build of the Clayton loco I've been working on. As I mentioned before there are more things wrong with the current version than right but it's still assembled into a passable model.


I've rally enjoyed modelling on O14 as the larger scale has really let me go to town on the details. Not only do we have the brake lever from a previous post, but individual wires and a bell among other details that would have been difficult or impossible in OO9. Now a static model is one thing but you all probably want to see it move.


You'll probably notice two things from that video. Firstly the working lights are missing as I discovered that there was no way of routing the wires through the current print (another thing to add to the list of bits needing a redesign). Secondly the movement isn't very smooth. For some reason it looks as if they wheels are sticking during part of their revolution. It must be the wheels and not the layshaft as it's at the same point every time. You can see it more clearly in this video.


I've not figured out exactly what the problem is yet but I'm guessing that maybe one of the axles is slightly out of line leading to a tight spot. I'll try and investigate further but it may just be an issue with printing that will go away after some of the bits are redesigned anyway.

So not perfect, but I'm more than happy with my start in O14.

7 comments:

  1. You have made a cracking little model there Mark, the finish is ever so neat and tidy. I rather enjoy the tweaking stage once I've got a model up and running even though it can at times be frustrating, good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Geoff. If anything I think the finish is a bit too neat and tidy, it could probably do with some subtle weathering. It doesn't need too much given it spent most of it's working life inside, but a little bit of dirt wouldn't go amiss. The tweaking stage can be fun, but as you say frustrating, especially when the problem isn't obvious.

      Delete
  2. Excellent. Nothing that can't be sorted. The video quality is much better. Have you a new camera?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes hopefully I should be able to sort it and at least it does move. The video does look better but it's he same settings on the same camera as before, so I'm guessing YouTube have just mangled it less than they normally do.

      Delete
  3. It is a very nice model indeed! I guess that the niggles you mention will be steadily ironed away as you refine the print, but it looks great right now. I look forward to you weathering it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, there are plenty of niggles to iron out, especially as I managed to over fill the space in the body shell with weight so it doesn't fit perfectly -- disguised in the video by crafty camera work ;)

      You probably won't be surprised to learn that the running issue turned out to be uneven tension in the pickups pushing the rear axle out of place. It seems pickups are my achilles heel when it comes to building locos, I guess practice will help.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you sorted the running problem relatively straightforwardly.

    ReplyDelete