Monday, November 2, 2015

And The Winner Is...

Having worked on my bridge model for about four months the good news is that my careful packing meant that it arrived safely at ExpoNG on Saturday along with eight other entries in a variety of scales.




The winner was "The Cutting" by Derek Harris. As you can see in the photo above the presentation was very clever as it forced you to look down on the model, just as you would if peering over a wall to look down into a cutting. I'm not going to comment on any of the models more than that as after one conversation on Saturday I found that even positive comments could be easily misunderstood given I had a model in the competition.

Given that I held off on showing the completed diorama before Saturday here it is in all its glory along with a label and more importantly my first exhibition badge (these are handed out at most exhibitions to each layout on show).


Usually people stick the exhibition badges to the layout display board but as I don't have one for the bridge, and it's unlikely to be displayed at any other exhibition in the future I'll just carefully store the badge away with the model.

I had a lot of fun building the bridge and I've improved my modelling skills no end, so regardless of the competition result, I'm calling this a win. Now I just have to wait and see what next years challenge will be and if it similarly captures my imagination.

6 comments:

  1. Sorry you didn't win, your diorama looks fabulous. I expect you had a grand day out anyway and another accomplishment under your belt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was great weekend. I met lots of like minded people, sold the rest of the first batch of kits, and saw some fantastic modelling. Unfortunately I didn't take many photos so there isn't much to blog about but it was certainly well worth the trip.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing these photos Mark. Interesting to see all those different solutions to the project. I do like your concept, and the textures, and how your detailing is subtle but very carefully done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say, I think your diorama is the clear winner :) Some top notch modelling, the heather really came through and polished off the scene.

    ReplyDelete