Monday, January 23, 2017

Ivor the Engine

As I predicated in the previous post I've not really had much time for modelling over the last thirteen weeks. I've no idea when this will change, but when it does I'll have another project to start on...

Obviously Toby isn't old enough to be choosing Christmas presents for people yet, but Bryony and I thought it would be nice if we each had a present from him at his 1st Christmas that wasn't at all baby related and that would give us something fun to do when we eventually have some free time for hobbies again. Bryony got a very nice hand turned yarn bowl and I got a kit to build Ivor the Engine.

I've fancied building Ivor for a few years ever since Paul pointed out that PH Designs did a kit for a 7mm scale model. Since then they have also released the kit in 4mm scale; actually two kits one for OO gauge, which I've got, and one for EM/P4 for those who like a more accurate track gauge.

What you get in the "kit" is the etches and a sheet of transfers leaving you to source wheels, motor, gearbox, and boiler fittings; not really what I'd call a kit. To make matters worse the recommended motor is the Mashima 1015 and Mashima motors aren't made any more, plus the instructions don't list a specific gearbox as far as I can see. Finally there aren't any wheels that are a perfect match so those suggested in the kit require cutting up to produce the correct number of spokes, and therein lies another problem.


As you can see I've been collecting together some prototype reference material ready to help with the build. This includes the storybook I've had since I was a child and some stills taken from the DVD of the complete series (all the colour episodes anyway). It turns out that the book and TV series are a little inconsistent, especially when it comes to the wheels. In the TV series Ivor appears to have wheels with six spokes, whereas the wheels clearly have eight spokes in the book. It gets even more confusing as some shots, in both the TV episodes and the book, show balance weights on the wheels while some don't.

So while I'm sure it's going to be a fun build, when I eventually have the time, it's clear there are a few issues to sort first, namely which motor, gearbox, and wheels to use. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions I'd be grateful if you left a comment.

4 comments:

  1. I understand that several gearbox makers have stocked up on Mashimas and looked at replacements. I suspect either Branchlines or High Level will be able to supply something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, why didn't I think of that? I'd been intending to look at High Level gearboxes but hadn't thought about the fact that they may well have a stash of Mashima motors or have sorted sensible replacements. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the link to the yarn holders, my beloved has been dropping hints about wanting one for some time and they seem to have some really nice ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one we got is gorgeous. We spent quite a while looking for one she liked especially as she wanted to avoid a heavy ceramic one. These were by far the best hand turned wooden ones we came across. Not cheap, but well worth the asking price and the company were lovely to deal with as well.

      Delete